Britsh Green Howards Cap Badge
|Shipping:||Canada: $4.00||International: $4.00|
|Insurance:||Canada/US: $12.00||International: $30.00|
|If insurance is declined the buyer takes all responsibility for damage or loss in shipping.|
Enter an address to purchase this product
You are viewing a post 1953 Green Howards cap badge with tang style attachment. The full name of this regiment is The Green Howards (Alexandria, Princess of Wale's Own Yorkshire Regiment) 19th Regiment a foot". This badge is bimetal, made of white metal and plated brass. May be a recent production. In excellent condition. View scans for details. The badge is made of white metal and the full name shows the reason for the shape of the crown.
Some History: The regiment was formed during the 1688 Glorious Revolution from independent companies raised in Somerset . In 1703, it was part of an expeditionary force in the West Indies and Newfoundland, losing many men to disease before returning to Ireland in 1704. Back in Flanders in 1710, it took part in the sieges of Douai and Bouchain and when the war ended in 1713, it resumed garrison duties in Ireland. The Green Howards fought in the Battle of Rocoux and the Battle of Lauffeld before the 1748 Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle ended the war, after which it became part of the garrison of Gibraltar. The next 20 years were spent on garrison duty in Gibraltar and Scotland, until 1781, when it served in the disastrous southern campaign in the closing stages of the American Revolutionary War. In 1782. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Alma in September 1854 and at the Siege of Sevastopol in winter 1854 during the Crimean War and then saw action again during the Indian Rebellion. The 1st battalion was stationed at Nova Scotia from 1884. After a brief spell in Gibraltar in 1899, the battalion was posted to South Africa as reinforcement for the Second Boer War.
The 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the York and Durham Brigade in the Northumbrian Division in April 1915 for service on the Western Front. The 6th (Service) Battalion landed at Suvla Bay in Gallipoli as part of the 32nd Brigade in the 11th (Northern) Division in August 1915; the battalion was evacuated to Egypt in January 1916 and then moved to France in July 1916 for service on the Western Front. During the Second World War, the regiment was again increased in size. In 1942, the 12th Battalion was converted to amour as the 161st Regiment Royal Armoured Corps, but retained its Green Howards cap badge. on 6 June 2006 the regiment amalgamated with the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire...