WWII era Prince Albert Volunteers Cap Badge
|Shipping:||Canada: $4.00||International: $4.00|
|Insurance:||Canada/US: $12.00||International: $30.00|
|If insurance is declined the buyer takes all responsibility for damage or loss in shipping.|
Above are the scans for this copper cap badge for the Prince Albert Volunteers. The design is an exquisitely done bison head mounted above the name scroll. Complete with both original lugs and cross pin as found. View scans for details.
On all our products we accept prepaid authorized returns upon notification within 14 days of shipping, for full product refund, if you are not pleased.
I will happily combine items to save shipping costs if you purchase other items as well...
The Prince Albert Volunteers or Prince Albert Rifles were originally a historical body of militia organized in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, which served as Canadian government militia during the North-West Rebellion. "Gentleman" Joe McKay, an Anglo-Metis scout of the North-West Mounted Police was sent to Prince Albert from Fort Carlton to enlist about 20 men as volunteers on 20 March 1885. 22 men were sworn in before Lieutenant Colonel Sproat. The volunteers were commanded by Captain Moore, who had retired from the Canadian militia. On the 23rd of March, they arrived at Fort Carlton and were armed with Snider-Enfield rifles. They saw their only action fighting alongside the North West Mounted Police against Gabriel Dumont's Metis forces at the Battle of Duck Lake on March 26, 1885. They suffered the heaviest casualties of all the combatants involved, and of the forty-one Volunteers sent, nine were killed at Duck Lake, their bodies left on the field until emissaries from Louis Riel arranged for their safe retrieval by citizens of Prince Albert. For the remainder of the rebellion the volunteers stayed penned up in the stockade at Prince Albert, safeguarding the community until relieved by General Frederick Middleton and his Northwest Field Force after the Battle of Batoche. Most of those who died are buried at St. Mary's Anglican Church cemetery just west of Prince Albert.
This regiment was revived in WWII. They were mobilized in the early spring of 1942 and served on the home front with the 19th Infantry Brigade in Vernon BC. They also provided volunteers for Active Service in the European and the Pacific theaters.